Traditional and Infrared Saunas
There are two main types of sauna, Traditional
Outdoor Living can help you choose the right sauna room and offer a full delivery and installation service to get you up and running. You'll
then be ready to take advantage of the many benefits of a Helo sauna.
All our Saunas include standard delivery* and installation to your power supply. *Standard delivery within 25 miles of Hull and Leeds Showrooms. Call 0844 543 6002 if you are outside these boundaries for delivery prices.
Sauna Health Benefits
The benefits of sauna bathing are extensive and have been appreciated by many generations from many different cultures for hundreds of
The following list is based on the general beliefs held by sauna experts and enthusiasts, however not all the claims are scientifically proven.
- Sauna use may reduce the incidence of the common cold, and temporarily relieve the symptoms
- Sauna increases performance in endurance sport
- Sauna increases plasma volume and red cell volume in athletes
- It decreases systolic blood pressure
- Sauna significantly improves exercise tolerance, increased peak respiratory oxygen uptake, and enhanced anaerobic threshold in chronic conditions
- Sauna plus multidisciplinary treatment may reduce chronic pain more effectively than multidisciplinary treatment alone
- Sauna reduces chronic pain more effectively than cognitive behaviour therapy
- Sauna is indicated for rheumatic pain (with cold shower)
- It Is effective for appetite loss and mild depression
- Sauna is indicated in reducing symptoms in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and rheumatoid arthritis, and indicated for anorexia nervosa
- Sauna improves function in conditions such as, congestive heart failure, and high blood pressure, improves vasodilation, improves heart arrhythmia, and reduces heart rate on exercise
- Sauna has been proposed for treatment of other conditions such as, glaucoma, Sjogren syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, anorexia nervosa, obstructive lung disease, recuperation after childbirth, and also for lifestyle related diseases of, diabetes, arteriosclerosis, obesity, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, atherosclerosis and smoking induced symptoms
- Sauna has also been found to reduce levels of stress hormones adrenalin and noradrenalin and to increase levels of beta endorphin. However it also causes a substantial rise in the stress hormones ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone), and cortisol due to hyperthermic stress on the body. Cortisol remains high even after 30 minutes of rest
- Saunas also found to reduce prostaglandin F2alpha and protect against oxidative stress. It enhances activation of monocytes to bacteria and endotoxins
- It has been shown that regular saunas combined with exercise therapy can efficiently clear organic chemicals, solvents, drugs, pharmaceuticals even PCBs and heavy metals from the body
- In addition, a sauna followed by a cold shower has been shown to reduce pain in rheumatoid arthritis where pain is mediated by sensitised c-fibre sympathetics
- Regular saunas have also been found to improve micro circulation reduce vasoconstriction and hypertension. Many symptoms of chronic illnesses may be due to vasoconstriction effects e.g. cold sensitivity, pain even mood states, and sauna improves microcirculation and blood supply to constricted areas
- Research has also shown that adaptation to cold through short term cold stimulus, as in cold swimming, immersion (or showers) has the added benefit of improving the body's anti oxidant capabilities, with increases in glutathione and reduction of uric acid, which may mean better handling of the stresses of illness
The beneficial effects of therapeutic sauna are both temporary and long term, with some benefits lasting about 24 hours.