Chlorine Hot Tub Maintenance Guide & Schedule February 17, 2019 15:57 1 Comment
Not all hot tub and pool chlorine products are created equal. Our hot tub chlorine granules and tablets are the highest quality, which means you will require smaller amounts to achieve healthy water than cheaper alternatives.
How does chlorine work?
When hot tub chlorine is dissolved in water it creates hypochlorous acid which reacts with bacteria in the water, breaking it down and killing it in the process. During this process the hypochlorous acid molecules will react with other elements and become deactivated, which is why constant maintenance is required.
Daily hot tub use:
A chlorine level of between 3-5mg/l must be maintained in your hot tub at all times. The addition of chlorine will depend upon usage and bathing habits. It could be daily or every 2-3 days (for 1mg/l add 2g per 1000 litres).
Note: 10ml = approx 10g
Weekly hot tub maintenance - chlorine:
When performing the weekly maintenance, it is important to ensure the pumps are running and the hot tub is uncovered.
- Clean the filters with a hose pipe to remove any debris build up and leave to dry afterwards. You can use a filter cleaner spray to prevent a build up of grease and we recommend purchasing a spare filter, allowing you to rotate them on a weekly basis.
- Use test strips to check the pH levels, these should be between 7.2 and 7.6. If the pH level in your hot tub is below 7.2 you can use pH Increaser (pH+) for results above 7.6 you can use pH Decreaser (pH-) to balance the pH levels.
- Check the chlorine level is between 3-5mg/l. Use chlorine test strips and if the level is below 3-5mg/l then add additional chlorine granules to raise the chlorine level.
- Add 17g of non chlorine shock per 1,500 litres of water, ensure the jets are on and leave uncovered for a minimum of 20 minutes. This is very important when the hot tub has been used heavily to keep the water clean and clear.
- Adding 23ml of no-scale per 1,500 litres of water in hard water areas will help prevent a build up of scale in your hot tub.
- It is important that when chlorine is added to the hot tub that the cover is removed and the pumps are running.
Quarterly Hot Tub Maintenance - Chlorine:
- Remove & soak the filter overnight in a large container with filter cleaner, rinse with a hose pipe and leave to dry.
- Fully drain the hot tub water and refill it with fresh water.
- Balance the pH level. Follow step 2 in the weekly maintenance schedule to balance the pH levels to between 7.2 and 7.6
- Add 60g of chlorine granules per 1,500 litres of water to start the sanitation process and allow the level to drop to 3-5mg/l before using the hot tub.
- Adding no-scale 38ml per 1,500 litres of water in hard water areas will help prevent a build up of scale in your hot tub.
Our Chlorine Maintenance Guide is a quick reference for your convenience. Please consult your chemical guide, the instructions on the product or call us if you require further information. Note the quantities shown are based on a spa water volume of 1500 litres so adjust accordingly.
Find all of our chlorine products here.
For more help and advice on some of the points above, we have a series of guides available: