How to Change a ClearRay Bulb December 22, 2016 13:14 1 Comment
Many Jacuzzi® and Sundance Hot tub owners will choose to change their hot tub's ClearRay bulb themselves so we have put together this guide to talk you through how to change your ClearRay bulb. Alternatively, you may choose to have a trained hot tub technician to change it as part of your annual hot tub service. Find out more about our Hot Tub Service.
The ClearRay bulb was introduced in Jacuzzi® and Sundance hot tubs which are manufactured in 2012 and onwards. ClearRay UV-C water purifications systems use a UV bulb which requires an annual bulb replacement to maintain Clear, Clean and Safe Hot Tub Water.
Follow this step by step guide learn how to change your ClearRay bulb:
- Turn the breaker to the hot tub off. Drain the hot tub.
- Once the UV bulb has cooled off, remove the ClearRay system enclosure cover and gasket by removing the four screws. This will expose the UV bulb and connections.
- Disconnect the UV bulb socket from the power cord socket.
- Slowly remove the UV bulb out of the quartz tube.
- Remove the quartz seal compression nut by turning it anticlockwise. Use a pair of channel-lock pliers if needed. You will notice that there is a stainless steel compression washer which slides over the quartz tube, save the washer for later use.
- Now you are ready to clean the quartz tube.
- Clean the quartz tube by wiping, until clear, using a paper towel or a dry cotton cloth. If needed, a household tub and shower lime removal product can be used. Warning: do not use abrasive cleaners as they can scratch the quartz tube surface.
- Rinse the quartz tube with clean water to completely remove any cleaning products that were used in step 7.
- Reinstall the compression washer over the open end of the quartz tube.
- Reinstall and hand tighten the quartz seal compression nut by turning it clockwise.
- Refill your hot tub with water.
- System Test 1: Assure there is no water dripping from the seal compression nut. If water is visible stop and tighten the compression nut using a pair of channel lock pliers to a maximum of 1/4 turn. If that does not fix the leak, then repeat the steps from step 1. Make sure there is no water leaking before you proceed to step 13.
- System Test 2: Turn the breaker back on. Turn on the pump to circulate the water through the ClearRay system. Wait for 5 minutes and assure no water is dripping. If water is visible, stop, fix the leak by repeating quartz tube maintenance from step 1. Make sure there is no water leaking before you proceed to step 14. Turn the pump and the breaker OFF.
- Reconnect the UV bulb socket to the power cord socket. Make sure you use the latex glove provided when handling the UV bulb. WARNING: DO NOT TOUCH THE NEW UV BULB WITH YOUR BARE HANDS. Oil on your skin will cause hot spots on the UV bulb and shorten the lifespan of your UV bulb. Use the provided latex glove to handle the UV bulb.
- Slide the new UV bulb back inside the quartz tube.
- Reinstall the black bulb boot back over the quartz seal compression nut.
- Reinstall the enclosure cover with gasket and secure with the screws.
- Safely and properly dispose of the old UV bulb.
- Once power is activated you can check the ballast, to see if the ClearRay System is functioning. A solid green light indicates that the ClearRay System is being provided power and should always be on. A solid red light indicates that the UV bulb is activated.
- To re-set your hot tubs ClearRay timer, please refer to your hot tub manual.
Need some further assistance?
Have a watch of this step by step video which talks you through how to change the ClearRay bulb.
You can buy your ClearRay bulb online by heading this way. Jacuzzi Direct has FREE next working day delivery to the UK mainland when you spend over £50.